The Company is established:
a) To promote good community relations by improving the assistance and support given to those who are or may become subjected to discrimination by reason of race, sex, religion or belief, age, sexuality, disability or any other aspect of their position or status that is stated by domestic UK or European law as being grounds upon which discrimination is deemed unlawful.
b) To advance education and training in the field of legal representation for those persons who are or may become subjected to discrimination by reason of race, sex, religion or belief, age, sexuality, disability or any other aspect of their position or status that is stated by domestic UK or European law as being grounds upon which discrimination is deemed unlawful.
Our main areas of work include:
- To improve the assistance and support given to those who are suffering, or who may suffer, from discrimination, and who may or may not be in necessitous circumstances;
- To provide training to those who provide legal assistance and advice to those who are suffering or may suffer from discrimination;
- To promote an understanding of the needs of those suffering discrimination generally, and to help ensure that such needs are taken into account whenever the means by which they may gain relief from, or redress for, discrimination are considered;
- To enhance the standard and level of support that can be offered to those suffering;
- To undertake research into the area of discrimination and discrimination law and to disseminate the information to the public; those who represent members of the public who are suffering or who may suffer from discrimination; and to any organisation - governmental or non-governmental which may be involved in the development of the law in the area of discrimination;
- To write, print or otherwise reproduce by any means of recorded audio and/or visual information whether now or hereafter invented and circulate, gratuitously or otherwise, periodicals, magazines, books, leaflets or other documents;
- To hold exhibitions, meetings, lectures, classes, seminars, workshops, courses or other events either alone or with others.
For the DLA’s governing document, please read the Memorandum of Association