When we surveyed members in 2007, they said the DLA is special because of the "Wide range of people and groups that are represented..." "Focus on discrimination law from the point of view of complainants..." and "Practical advice and application of law in practice..." Over 90% of members who responded said the DLA's analytical overview of discrimination law that synthesises all areas of discrimination law was an important part of their decision to become a member.
As a member of the DLA, Britain's only voluntary sector organisation dedicated to improving law, practice, advice and education across all areas of discrimination, you will receive:
- Briefings - the DLA's journal, published three times a year, provides accessible, complainant-oriented analysis of the latest developments in discrimination law including recent cases in the UK and European courts, and new legislation.
- Invitations to members-only Practitioner Group Meetings. PGMs provide unique opportunities to hear from diverse expert practitioners and to discuss discrimination law matters in an informal setting. PGMs attract CPD (Continuing Professional Development) points through the Bar Standards Board and the Law Society.
- E-News and information circulation - Through a monthly information service we keep members updated on discrimination law news and cases. With members in every area of practice we are uniquely placed to bring you up-to-the-minute news of debates and progress in legislation both at home and in Europe.
We also use e-mail to alert members to the latest developments, events, and reports in the law and practice in the UK and Europe.
- Invitations to contribute to DLA analysis of and response to UK and EU consultations on proposed policies and legislation likely to impact on rights to equality and non-discrimination.
- event discount - members enjoy reduced fees for the annual DLA conference and other adhoc events which offer unique opportunities for innovative thinking and discussion about current and future discrimination law issues.
Above all, we offer members the opportunity to engage with others working on eliminating discrimination in Britain, and a respected avenue through which to pro-actively raise issues of concern.
The DLA membership year runs from 1 April every year to 31 March the following year.
Please note that Organisations (Associate members) are only entitled to one vote at DLA Annual General Meetings (for the whole organisation).
However, Associate Members may nominate as many partners/staff as they wish to receive electronic updates from the DLA and (subject to space) invitations to our Practitioner Group Meetings.